March 24, 2011

Bird Tales from childhood into adulthood

I grew up on a farm on the Eyre Peninsula and remember a couple of Willy Wag Tails who took up residence just above our back door. With the coming and goings in and out of that door I’m surprised they bothered to build a nest - let alone stay as long as they did! I loved to look out for them as a little girl and now well into adulthood, when I see them I find myself still captivated by their elegance, beauty and life.

For many years I also keenly listen for the presence of a Golden Whistler as I walked our 1km driveway to meet the school bus. When I heard it whistle, I would return the whistle and wait for it to whistle back. We would continue this for a good 2-300m on my morning walk to the school bus.

As a child, I also remember tracking the path of Plovers and Moor Hens who left telltale prints in the mud along the banks of the waterhole and adjoining creek on our farm.

Now I live in Adelaide and my husband is reckoning on his newly fruiting trees will survive bird ‘attacks’ because we live in the flight path and only seem to have pigeons nearby. I don’t tell him about the other birds I notice around the neighbourhood!
Renae

No comments:

Post a Comment