March 30, 2011

Bird Stops

A few years ago I was in a very stressful employment situation. I
> would lie awake at night worrying, be anxious about the job situation
> as soon as I work up each day, and dreaded going in to the office. I
> walked to work each morning across the parklands by the river -
> sometimes taking off my shoes to feel the dewy grass under my feet. At
> some point I  resolved with myself that each day, if I heard a bird
> singing I would stop and scan the tree branches until I could see it,
> and watch it sing till its song was all that filled my being.
>
> I have no idea about bird species except for the most common, but
> every bird and whose song captured me, gave me a precious gift of
> peace, a sense of calm and a connection with the bigger world. After
> these bird stops I  could to go into the day with contentment and
> optimism.
Melinda Rackham

No comments:

Post a Comment