February 6, 2011

Pets I have known (1979)

A memory written by my Grandmother, Gwen Kroeger in 1979:

Although we had a number of pets at Loxton, particularly cats, my most memorable pets were early in life.
....there was “Cocky”, a Major Mitchell cockatoo, who used to scream out “Look out there!”, “Look out there!” When we teenagers came home later than expected our parents always knew because she would scream “Look out there!” Cocky used to call “Puss…Puss” to the cat.
We had a magpie which was very protective of mother in her wheelchair. It screeched at anyone who opened the gate at the front of the house, and squawked until mother stopped him.
At Loxton from time to time I have had four to five doves come to the electric light wires near the front of my home and before long to my front veranda to say “Hello” to my cockatoo, parrot, budgie or canaries over the years, and to share their food. At times they have flown to the electric light wires in front of the Church of England across the street. I always loved to see them, especially now that I live on my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment